Psoriasis is a skin condition characterized by red, itchy and scaly patches mainly on the trunk, elbows, knees and scalp. It is caused by an autoimmune response that signals the body to overproduce new skin cells, and because of the inability of the body to shed these new cells fast enough, there’s a buildup of old and new skin cells that create the itchy and inflamed patches. It’s a long-term chronic condition with no cure and tends to occur in cycles where it flares up for a few weeks or months then goes into remission.
CBD for Psoriasis
There is currently no cure for Psoriasis. However, there are a number of options you can use to manage the symptoms and improve the quality of your life.
Many people who suffer from Psoriasis are including CBD oil in their daily routine to soothe their symptoms and create harmony within their bodies. So how is CBD for Psoriasis helping patients?
- Promotes Homeostasis: Your body strives to maintain balance, and CBD naturally activates the endocannabinoid system to promote homeostasis and achieve balance. By doing this, CBD helps regulate the proliferation and differentiation of keratinocyte in people who suffer from Psoriasis. This controls skin production by slowing the growth and division of skin cells.
- Anti-Inflammatory: One of the best-known benefits of CBD is its anti-inflammatory qualities. By naturally activating the endocannabinoid system, CBD helps individuals with Psoriasis get relief by reducing inflammation and soothing itchy and inflamed areas.
- Pain Relief: Studies have shown that CBD oil is an excellent pain reliever due to its ability to block the production of glutamate within your central nervous system. By hindering this neurotransmitter, CBD offers natural and effective pain relief.
How to Use CBD for Psoriasis?
There’s a lot of debate on whether topical or oral consumption is more effective. However, it comes down to personal preference. Applying it topically helps reduce pain and inflammation on localized areas. Consuming it orally ensures it’s absorbed in the bloodstream to ease symptoms and create balance.
Some Other Home Remedies for Psoriasis
- Use a good moisturizer: This may seem like a no-brainer, but applying a good moisturizer locks moisture into your skin, reducing inflammation and the itching sensation.
- Soak up the sun: A few minutes in the sun can do wonders for Psoriasis. The sun is an excellent source of vitamin D, which eases inflammation. UVB exposure also helps slow down the rapid growth of skin cells.
- Take a Salt Bath: Getting water into your skin can help relieve Psoriasis. Taking a soak in a warm bath with Epsom salt and moisturizing immediately after helps trap moisture into your skin.
- Take Turmeric Supplements: Studies indicate that turmeric helps reduce inflammation hence can reduce Psoriasis flare-ups. You can take it as a supplement or add it to your diet.
- Treat Your Skin With Apple Cider Vinegar: This is a great way to control Psoriasis flare-ups, especially on your scalp. You can dilute it with water and apply to problem areas
If you have Psoriasis, it’s possible to ease your symptoms and manage the condition at home. You can explore CBD for Psoriasis and other home remedies.