Onabotulinum Toxin A is the official name of botox and apart from its stunning effects in skincare cosmetics the product caters to a number of serious health conditions. It is derived from a bacterium that causes botulism. Unlike any other organic product, it can completely numb the intramuscular nerves to block their activity. It is the widely used solution to lessen the appearance of facial creases and wrinkles among adults though this effect is temporary.
A renowned skincare specialist in Edmonton points out the application of botox is not only limited to cosmetic medicine. Rather, it is generously used in more conventional branches of medicine too including the following:
- Botox injections are used to cure cervical dystonia in adults – a medical condition in which one suffers from severe spasm in the neck muscles.
- It is used to treat stiffness of muscles in the fingers, wrists, elbows, toes and ankles.
- The product works great to minimize the problem of hyper-hydrosis or severe sweating of the underarms.
- Botox applied to patients suffering from spinal cord injury or multiple sclerosis provides positive results.
- It works great in cases of overactive bladder and urine leakage – typical problems caused by nerve disorders.
- It is perhaps the best medicine till date to cure migraine pain.
- Botox is also used in ophthalmology to treat certain eye muscle conditions.
Possible side-effects of botox in cosmetic application
Skincare doctors often get complains of allergic reactions from botox patients. The reactions include itching, wheezing, hives, breathing difficulty, swelling of the lips, face, tongue and throat. If you experience any of these symptoms after a botox treatment, just get emergency medical help.
The botulinum toxin is the main ingredient in botox injections. The toxin may easily spread to other parts of the body beyond the targeted area. As a result you may suffer from life-threatening side-effects from cosmetic botox treatments.
Patients undergoing cosmetic botox injections often complain about the following symptoms:
- Severe weakness in the muscles (specially the body parts beyond the botox treatment area)
- Difficulty in breathing or swallowing
- Losing bladder control
- Impaired vision clubbed with eye pain and eyes turning dry and irritated
- Drooping and swelling of eyelids
- Watering eyes
- Hoarse voice
- Experiencing heavy pain or pressure in the chest area
- Pain in the jaws and shoulder areas
- Irregular heartbeats
- Pain or burning sensation while urinating
It is important to note that in such cases, one has to be taken to a doctor immediately.
Apart from the health conditions or side-effects mentioned above, some people are also known to suffer from the following symptoms resulting from botox injection:
- Muscle weakness around the injection site
- Pain in the neck, arms and even legs
- The mouth going dry
- Blurred vision with dry eyes and puffy eyelids
- Constant tiredness accompanied by annoying headache
- Increased sweating other than the underarms
- Bruising, redness, pain and swelling at the injection site
In certain cases patients face difficulty in swallowing for months together after botox injection.
Botox treatment is not meant for you if you’re:
- Allergic to botulinum toxin
- Suffering from an infection in the area where botox is to be injected
- Suffering from an overactive bladder condition or any problem with urinating
It is important to let your doctor know if you suffer from any of the conditions mentioned below:
- ALU or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (widely known as Lou Gehrig’s disease)
- Lambert-Eaton syndrome
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Asthma or Emphysema
- Heart disease
In addition to the conditions mentioned above, you should also voluntarily reveal in case you have taken any other botulinum toxin injection in the last 4 months or any surgery to the face ever.
The small risk factor
Botox is synthesised from donated human plasma. Thus, it may contain viral infection traits and although the synthesised product is tested before injecting, yet a small possibility of disease transmission remains.
Botox injections should be administered only by registered doctors, even when it is meant only for cosmetic objective. The entire course of injections is to be spaced at least 3 months apart. The injections can be administered into more than one target area at a time but that depends on the condition of a patient.
While injecting it around the eye area, a specially designed contact lens, eye drops and ophthalmic ointment are to be used to protect the eye surface.
If the injection is meant to treat excessive sweating, the patient has to shave the underarm area 24 hours before being injected. You’re not supposed to use deodorants or antiperspirants both before and after the injection. It is also important to avoid any hot drinks or foods and exercises at least half an hour before the procedure. Once the injection is pushed into your body at the desired site, expect severe spasm in the muscles of the neck. This inconvenience is likely to remain for about 2 weeks. By the end of the second week, you will experience great improvements.
Similarly, the spasm in the eye muscles is likely to continue for anywhere between 1 and 3 days. Considerable improvement requires about 2 to 6 weeks arriving. Botox Injection clinic near Edmonton, Dr Jarret Morrow shows impressive success rate. A lot of people have come here for the treatment only to refer their friends and family members because of the desired results.
Initially, botox offers temporary results. Your symptoms are likely to come back within just 3 months. But after repeated injections over a period of time the results are likely to stay longer. Try not to switch the doctor, who provides you with your botox injection too frequently. This may affect your treatment results in the long run.
You’ve nothing to worry about even if you’ve missed a dose or two. You should try not to miss any but yet if you accidentally do, it won’t cause you any harm. Avoid driving after getting botox injection, because the treatment usually impairs vision. You should take it slow and take time to get back to your usual life after being injected.